Saturday, March 6, 2010

Saturday, March 6

Obviously, Sitani and I had a great time last night and it felt good to sleep in a little this morning. When we did get up we went downstairs for breakfast. The little guy ate a whole waffle. I guess he was hungry. Pretty soon Gracie got here and we visited a little before Kristi and Haini brought Marley and Eli.

After they had left for the Temple, Gracie and I took the kids to the K-Mart around the corner. It was a good way to spend some time. Gracie had to leave to go back to Provo because she was going snowboarding with some friends. She gently asked if I really thought I could take care of all three alone at the pool. Duh? I don't think so. So, we didn't get to go swimming but that was best because they were all pretty tired. We fed them a little lunch and by then Kristi and Haini were back to pick them up.

I've so loved having this time with the kids and grandkids. It's been one of the blessings of it all.

After they all left I headed over to the Nursing home. Dan was aware and eager to talk today. Paunie and Larry had already been there and had left some fruit and cookies for him. He had lots to tell me. I eventually got out a pad of paper and pen to write things down so I wouldn't forget anything. Dan told me he could remember Tessha being with him but he thought they were in Baltimore.

He also told me he had seen himself at the Hawker Funeral Home all laid out in the casket. Only thing was he wasn't dead and he knew it. He could quite figure out to let us know, too. Again, he told me about traveling across the country; being in Colorado and other places. He said he could hear me talking to him and he tried to find me but he couldn't.

He is able to move himself around in his bed a lot better than before. He can use his feet to push himself back up to the top of the bed and he can slowly and painfully turn from side to side. It's hard to watch because you can tell it hurts him, but he just bites his lip and keeps moving. His left hand was a concern for him today. He said the therapist has told him to work on moving the fingers a little. He spend lots of time this afternoon holding his hand up in the air and trying to move the fingers. He says he can tell a difference from before. I think that in time he'll be able to use his right hand again, however he is getting good at feeding himself with his left hand.

He sat up in the chair to eat his dinner and did a pretty good job. He only needed my help getting the last of the soup and apples out of the bowls. It's good to see him eating and gaining his strength back.

I will need to connect with Bobi Hackworth from the VA in Pocatello to start the application for Respite Care. Beth said the other day that she didn't think I needed to start that yet, but we might be bringing him home in a couple of weeks and I'd love to have as much ready for him as we can. Also, the Nursing Home team is meeting on him next Tuesday. I won't be able to be there but I'll talk with Beth afterwards for any information I need. He has an appointment on the 11th with the Neurologist at the VA. I really do wish I could be there for that one, but...

I sure hope we can keep his health care professionals here in SL rather than in Pocatello. I'm really going to push that whenever possible. I think it's essential to him.

Well, I think that does it for another night. I'll add some pictures of when the kids were here this morning and then I'm going to bed. Love you all!!







No comments:

Post a Comment